Claw-back Victory

Tre Roberson is already a certified star for the Stampeders.

He’s a smothering defensive back, known for shutting down opposition receivers, and also earning his paycheque as a ball hawk, adept at interceptions.

You can now add ‘blocking punts’ to his impressive resume.

With the Stamps holding onto a one-point lead with 56 seconds left to play Saturday afternoon, Roberson elevated to block a 42-yard field-goal attempt by Lirim Hajrullahu, as the Stamps won their third straight game, edging the visiting Hamilton Ticats 19-18.

In a game they trailed 17-6 at the half, Roberson brought the crowd of 27,962 fans at McMahon Stadium to their feet in jubilation, as Calgary improved to 8-4 in the ultra-competitive CFL West Division.

Stamps quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell went 21-of-40 passing for 342 yards and one touchdown pass, a hookup to Eric Rogers in the second half.

The big receiver led Calgary in catches with eight for a team-topping 129 yards, while Reggie Begelton had six grabs for 106 yards.

Ka’Deem Carey was the top rusher for the Red & White with 42 yards on nine carries.

Hamilton pivot Dane Evans went 34-for-43 for 360 yards, including a TD strike to Brandon Banks. Evans also had a fumble and an interception.

Hajrullahu got the Ticats on the board first, with a pair of short field-goals in the first quarter: one from 25 yards, the second from 22.

Calgary kicker Rene Paredes answered back with a 42-yard boot, the Stamps trailing 6-3 after 15 minutes of play.

In the second quarter, Evans led the visitors on a nine-play, 75-yard drive down the field, capped off by the Banks 30-yard TD.

Hamilton went for the two-point convert, Anthony Coombs running the ball and being stood up at the goal-line, but able to push into the endzone on a second effort.

After a promising Stamps drive stalled out near the end of the second quarter, Parades stepped into a 49-yarder to add another three.

Hajrullahu nailed a kick from 45 yards as time expired to round out the scoring in the half.

The Stamps came out strong to start the second half, heading down the field and scoring what looked like a TD, Mitchell finding Rogers who caught the ball and ran a few years into the endzone.

However, a holding call brought it back. Mitchell came close to hitting Begelton for six points, but the ball went off his fingers as he stretched out for it.

The eight-play, 65-yard yard drive ended with a short 17-yard boot from Paredes.

On the seventh-play of the ensuing Ticats drive, Raheem Wilson stripped Banks of the ball, with Brandon Smith recovering it at the Calgary 40-yard line.

They ended up settling for another Paredes field-goal, this one from 20 yards.

On the second play of the next Hamilton drive, Cordarro Law sacked and stripped Evans, with Mike Rose recovering.

Unable to get a first-down after, Paredes came back on the field but missed a 35-yard field-goal attempt.

On Hamilton’s next chance at points, Hajrullahu missed his field-goal attempt, a 48-yarder.

Terry Williams ran it out 36 yards to the Calgary 15-yard line to start an eight-play, 89-yard drive down the field that ended with a 15-yard touchdown catch by Rogers and the Stamps first lead of the game, going up by the eventual 19-18 final.

Begelton made three catches for 49 yards as they made their way to the endzone, none bigger than a 12-yard catch early to keep the drive alive.