September 10, 2017

Stampeders come back for win in Edmonton

After last week’s Labour Day victory over the Green and Gold, the Stamps denied of the Esks of redemption in the rematch on Saturday night.

In the most dramatic fashion.

From The Brick Field at Commonwealth Stadium, a hard-fought battle saw the Stampeders persevere to clinch the season-series with Edmonton and improve their record to 9-1-1 in 2017. Head coach Dave Dickenson is now an astonishing 24-3-2 since taking over on the sideline last year.

“Nothing pretty about it in my opinion,” said Dickenson. “There was a lot of fight in both teams, maybe a little over the top at times. Nobody gave up on either side, kept fighting. We’ll take the two points and win number 9 is big for us.”

The loss for the Esks was their fourth in as many outings after opening their schedule with seven straight victories.

The 25-22 score featured five touchdowns – three of which with a missed convert – and five field goals.
After both teams managed only a single first down through the majority of the opening quarter, a costly miscue would eventually result in a 3-0 lead for the Red and White.

An early, errant snap by Edmonton’s Levi Steinhauer went over the head of punter Hugh O’Neill who then recovered the ball for a loss of 37 yards. Paredes knocked through a 20-yard field goal attempt shortly thereafter to break the scoreless tie and eventually added a 39-yarder in the second stanza.

In addition to the special-teams miscue, interceptions by Adam Konar and Cauchy Muamba of the Eskimos and Tommie Campbell of the Stamps were the other three turnovers.

To later claim their first lead when there was just one minute left on the clock, second-stringer Andrew Buckley followed his offensive line over the goal line from one yard out for the Stampeders’ initial major.

Following suit in the second half, Buckley doubled his TD total. The line of scrimmage was once again the one-yard line as a result of Jordan Hoover’s pass interference penalty while tracking Marken Michel in the end zone.

The Eskimos scored touchdowns off a Derel Walker run from the two-yard line and a 34-yard D’haquille Williams grab. Milo contributed with a 26-yard three-pointer for a temporary six-point lead. To conclude a drive lasting 7:26 to begin the third, a third short kick was made. His final field goal came in the early stages of the fourth.

Roy Finch and Jerome Messam each tallied 18-yard pickups for the game’s longest runs. A long-bomb from Mike Reilly to Brandon Zylstra for 67 yards on second-and-long was the most productive passing play of the night.

An amazing finish saw Anthony Parker leap for a 44-yard snag down to the five-yard line and Marquay McDaniel dive for a five-yard touchdown on third down with seconds remaining. Milo then missed a long try to tie as time expired.

“I was out of position on that play, luckily I knew what I was doing,” Parker said. “Ran the route, I don’t think the ball came out the way Bo wanted it too, but I was able to keep the concentration and catch it.”

Calgary and Edmonton combined for five punts and a mere 89 yards of offence in the initial 15 minutes of play. The Stamps and Esks picked it up after that, ending the evening with 340 and 492 respectively.